Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My story.


 Vision Stories – Tell these to inspire hope, especially when your team needs occasional reminders of why they're doing what they should be doing. Vision Stories are meant to stimulate action and raise morale. Find a story that reminds everyone what the ultimate goal is, and why it's important that everyone reaches that goal. This type of story should be told from your heart, with emotion.
           

+

Back in 2007, my life hit a major physical and emotional road bump.
I was a national athlete running the 400m. That year, my team had qualified for the biannual South East Asian Games, considered to be a prestigious event in the sporting arena.

However, I was injured badly while I was playing soccer, which, on hind sight, was a very stupid and regretful mistake.
I tore my anterior crucial ligament in my left knee, and I was out for the season. The doctors advised me to give up competitive track and field. The doctors told me to quit.

I could not believe him. I did not want to believe him. And I did not quit.
For the next three months, I went through the painful process of rehabilitation and restrengthening of my muscles.  And I was determined to return stronger and faster. At some point, I’m pretty sure I was depressed.

Life almost never goes according to plan, and this was a true test of my passion and willpower to keep going.
As I sat at home, it was not easy watching my teammates on television. I should have been there. I could have been there. But it’s no use crying over spilled milk. And 

I set myself a goal to make it to the SEA Games team again.

9 months after my surgery to reconstruct my ACL, I raced again.
I clocked my personal best time over the quarter mile.
I was overjoyed to say the least.
Four years on, I am proud to say that I have again qualified for this year’s SEA Games- and this time, I’ll be the one on television.
Never lose sight of your goals. Never lose confidence in yourself.
When people give up on you, never give up on yourself.

Dreams do not magically come true. Be patient. And work hard for it.



1 comment:

  1. This is a dramatic story, Lance. It certainly shows the value of persistence, of not being willing to give up.

    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete